Tuesday 26 May 2015

Bridget's Volunteering Story

When Bridget Marshall decided she would like to do some volunteer work, she had no idea where this would lead. Now Bridget sees her decision as one of the best things she has done, for herself as well as for the person who’s life she has changed for the better.

It's National Volunteers Week from 1st - 7th June and this seems a good time for Bridget to tell her story.......

For some time I had wanted to do some voluntary work but had no idea how to set about it. One day I was at my local GP's surgery and picked up a leaflet - 'Change a life. Become a My Guide volunteer’ . Having read the leaflet I contacted Forest SensoryServices who, in partnership with Guide Dogs had produced it.
Bridget and Paul on a bright winter's day
When I told the person who picked up the call what I hoped to do she asked me to tell her a little about myself. So I explained that as I was now almost retired, doing only the odd day in my old job as a veterinary receptionist, I wanted to offer some help to a blind person. I told her that I was very much an outdoor person, that I loved walking in the forest - when she stopped me and said she had just the person in mind who she would like me to meet - a man in his mid 40's called Paul Davis who had almost completely lost his sight following brain tumour surgery at the age of 25, who also loved to be out walking in the forest.
A Walking for Health walk group meet at the Foxes Bridge Centre, next door to Forest Sensory Services Centre in Cinderford at 10.30 each Monday morning, but Paul was unable to go on the walks as he needed a one-to-one guide. So it was arranged for me to meet Paul the following week and to have some training at the centre to see if I would be suitable to guide him. I was a little apprehensive as I had no idea what would be expected of me but the training was easy to follow and I felt an immediate empathy with Paul and couldn't wait to try out my newly learned skills.
Part of the Cinderford walk in Linear Park 
Paul was friendly and welcoming and the following Monday we went for our first walk with the Walking for Health group, a mixed bunch of people who were benefiting from company and regular exercise. Some had recent health problems, others needed to lose a little weight or just wanted new friends to walk with under the guidance of a trained, volunteer walk leader. The group walk along easy surfaces for up to an hour, less if people can’t go quite so far, and the walks are completely free.

I can honestly say that as much as I may have enriched Paul's life, getting to know him and becoming more aware of the struggles of people with sensory problems, he has enriched mine just as much. On a recent walk one crisp but sunny winter morning I suggested we turn our faces to the sun, close our eyes and just feel the warmth on our faces - Paul then said to me "you know - if it wasn't for you I wouldn't be here enjoying this" to which I replied - "you know Paul, nor would I!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone thinking of volunteering to go ahead and see how much you can bring to your own life as well as others.

Jenny Green, Manager of Forest Sensory Services, said how pleased she is that Bridget contacted FSS to become a Volunteer Buddy.  FSS has various volunteering roles available including driving, Buddying, fundraising and Telephone Befriending.  If you can spare a couple of hours a week or a month please contact Forest Sensory Services on 01594 827711 or email forestsensoryservices@btconnect.com




No comments:

Post a Comment