Wednesday 29 January 2014

Could you be a Walk Leader?

We are running free a Walk Leader training day on Wednesday, 16th April in Coleford. Here are some thoughts from Sue Skinner, one of our newer walk leaders, on her training and setting up a walk.

I have always enjoyed walking in the countryside and have long felt the benefits of fresh air and exercise. However, a year ago I never thought I would be leading regular health walks as a trained Walking for Health Leader in my local community, along with a group of enthusiastic friends, neighbours and brand new friends!

I had enjoyed doing a couple of health walks elsewhere in the Forest of Dean, but no-one was running a walk in my area. Thanks to encouragement from our local Scheme Co-ordinator I volunteered to train to be come a leader. This was both easy and enjoyable, and it's amazing how much more information I now have at my fingertips about why walking is so beneficial in so many ways.
A Walk Leader training session, with Sue, standing, on the left.
The only scary bit of the training was when it came to leading someone else's walk, in order to "earn my spurs" and set up my own local walk. Not to worry, I had experienced walk leaders Kim and Graham to hand to give support and encouragement - oh and yes, to present me with about 30 eager walkers to lead on a route I didn't know! This is where my brand new blue Walk for Health whistle came in handy. The walkers had been well-briefed to behave and be nice to me, so all went well and I was duly presented with my WfH certificate. Oh yes, and I have been joined by two more new walk leaders: my husband, Richard, and my friend Anne.

Kim Spencer, Scheme Coordinator, Sue Skinner, Graham Spencer (Walk Leader Trainer) and Richard Skinner
on the day we risk assessed the new walk
Our walk in Sedbury began in October last year, tentatively, as twice a month with about 4 - 6 walkers. By December there were 19 of us having a slap-up Christmas meal together in the local pub after a sunny morning health walk. So now we have decided to be bold and run walks every week, leaving the Village Inn Pub in Sedbury at 2pm every Thursday.
A January walk in Sedbury

So if any walkers are reading this and would like to become a walk leader, I really urge you to give it a go - you have nothing to lose and lots of new friends to gain.

Ring Graham Spencer on 01594 562240 to find out more about the training day.

No comments:

Post a Comment